Monday, April 25, 2005

On Making Submarine Sandwiches

Due to a strict examination of my bank account, I have had to give up eating out at lunch and have taken to brown-bagging. However, not wanting to make a normal sandwich, I decided I'd try my hand at making a Subway type Italian sandwich. It's not hard, but it does require some thinking.

First, there's the question of bread. I don't normally eat foot-long subs, so I used the jumbo hot-dog rolls that are used for oversized sausages. It turned out okay.

The meat wasn't a problem either. Maple Leaf sells pre-sliced cold cuts for both pizza and hero sandwiches. I used the ones for pizza because there is such a thing as overdosing on turkey. Besides, the slices for pizza fit the bun better.

Cheese? Sure, pre-sliced mozzarella. Adds a tang to the overall flavor.

The question is one of vegetables. Subway uses a variety of veggies, but there's only so much one can fit into a jumbo hot-dog bun.

Lettuces, of course. For a single guy, a head would be too much, but the pre-washed lettuce from Dole works nicely.

Tomatoes, too; Camparis are the perfect size for this type of sandwich.

Onions? I went for red onions, sliced as thin as I could manage as opposed to the McDonald's super-chopped.

And green peppers. An Italian sandwich doesn't have the same bite without sliced green peppers.

Altogether? It worked like a charm, I think Peter Clemenza or Henry Hill would be proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home