Wednesday, June 15, 2005

On Lobster

Last week I found out it was lobster season.

In an age when freezing technology makes seafood possible all year round, my concept of lobster season was sort of fuzzy. However, when the local pubs start selling lobster for $13 CDN each, I decided to go for it. (As it turns out, May and June are the optimum months for fresh lobster. I honestly did not know this.

Lobster, of course, is not one of those dishes people eat all the time. It's pretty expensive for most of the rest of the year, and I admit I'm one of those people who's squeamish about boiling something alive. For that reason I'm generally glad to eat lobster in a restaurant rather than cooking it myself.

Because of its association with shrimp, lobster probably has a reputation as being one of those foods that gets put on a "do not eat" list for people who have to watch their cholesterol. Thing is, most of the cholesterol in a lobster is in the head. I don't know anyone who eats lobster heads, do you?

1 Comments:

At 2:22 p.m., Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

All the cholesterol may be in the head, but it's the cholesterol in the butter I love to dip the meat in that gets me!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home